Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The End of the Innocence

(originally written on my iPad on Saturday, October 17, 2015)

It's an exquisite Saturday afternoon in Nashville, truly one of the perfect days of the year weather-wise.  At long last, summer has officially turned to fall.  The temperature this morning was in the low-40's and now, at 3:30 p.m., it's 59 degrees.  Perfect.

I'm sitting at Edley's BBQ in 12South, having a Calfkiller Grassroots APA.  For maybe the last time - ever - Joe is alongside in the stroller, sleeping contentedly in what is quickly turning into a crowded bar.  I can't remember the last time I took him out for a stroll and a nap in the City Elite.  Truth be told, I thought these lazy afternoons were gone forever, as he almost always naps (or doesn't, depending on his mood) in his bed at home.

Today, J.P. had a midday soccer game - his last of the season - and Tracy, Matthew, Kaitlyn and my mom stopped by the house for lunch afterwards.  When they left, I coaxed Joe into the stroller with the promise of watching "the Eggs" (a Thomas the Train "claymation sort of" video we discovered on Youtube) after he woke up from his nap.  Now, here we are again, Joe and me, occupying a place in time we've occupied so many times over the last 3 1/2 years.

Looking around at Edley's - it's packed - I'm reminded of how much I love living where I live, in a vibrant neighborhood in a city where I can walk to restaurants, bars, coffee shops and a park.  The youthful energy in Edley's today is palpable.  On the televisions in the bar, I can choose from the MLP Playoffs (Toronto - Kansas City) or a myriad of college football games (Michigan-Michigan Stae [the resurgence of UM with Jim Harbaugh at the helm]; Alabama-Texas A & M ['Bama is still 'Bama]; and OU-Kansas State.  Lots of couples, friends, football fans of various schools and a few families, eating a late lunch, drinking beer or just hanging out on the patio on a Saturday afternoon in 12South.

And me, with Joe, sitting at a table in the bar typing away on my iPad.

Sometime, many times, really I do love my life.  Now is one of those times.  I live in the hottest part of the "IT" city.  How lucky am I?

It's 2015, late in the year.  Beards are back in a big way.  Not just beards, but unkempt, out of control beards.  Craft beer is huge.  In middle Tennessee, anyway, everyone wants to live in the city, inside the perimeter.  Our neighborhood - Belmont/12South is teeming with activity.  On every block, there are houses being razed or renovated.  New restaurants or businesses are opening up every day.  It's unbelievable.

Jude is redecorating our house on Linden Avenue, room by room, slowly but surely.  I've got an estimate to hang new televisions, wire surround sound, re-cable the basement and improve our wifi capabilities, all of which should be done by the end of the month.  I'm working on screening in our back porch.  In short, it appears we're city mice for the long haul, which is completely fine by me.

It's a kick watching Spencer behind the bar at Edley's.  He spends most of his time at Edley's BBQ East (Nashville) these days, unlike the old days, when he was at Edley's BBQ in 12South almost every day.  He's the right kind of bartender - for me, anyway.  He can make any drink known to man, he's always in a good mood and he never forgets a name.  Most importantly, he'll have a drink with you late in his shift, must for a good bartender in my book.

So, back to my man, Joe.  He's at Children's House this fall, which is awesome.  Every day he comes home singing new songs and using new words.  Lately, he's starting saying things like "S-S-S-Snake. Snake starts with an S."  So cool.  I'm finishing my last year on the Board of Directors at Children's House, so I'm pretty tuned into what's going on there.  God, I love that place.  I'm so happy Joe is there, in Classroom B, with Ms. Michele and Ms. Tess.  At night, he talks about his new friends - Pike, Molly, Owen, Alp, Theo - the list goes on and on.  It's pretty special and I'm glad Joe is there five days a week.

I'm also happy Joe is with Carley for the afternoons on Tuesday and Thursday.  I wouldn't want it any other way.  Carley has been such an important part of J.P.'s and Joe's lives for so long.  That's an entire blog post in its own right, truly, but who much if who they are is who she is and that's fabulous.

Soon, in some ways, too soon, Joe will begin playing sports (baseball this spring), having play dates, then starting school presumably at USN.  And these special, quiet, contemplative afternoons will be gone, never to return except in the recesses of my memory.  Afternoons like this, a cacophony of voices and happy noises enveloping us in a warm, comforting cocoon in a bar where I call the bartenders my friends, where I can enjoy a respite from my busy life, drinking beer while Joe naps in the City Elite, they will fade away completely.  And I'll be sad, although I'll treasure these happy memories for the rest of my days.

First J.P., then Joe, and me, strolling through the neighborhood, destination Bongo Java, Frothy Monkey, Belmont U., Mafiozza's, 12South Tap Room, PM, Boulevard, Chago's Cantina, etc.  So many places, so many weekend afternoons, so my miles traveled, so many idyllic timeouts from the daily grind that is, at time, my life.  Just me and one of my boys, stopping or at least slowing down life for an hour or two.  Again, and again and again.

No comments: