Sunday, April 5, 2015

Stopping to Smell the Roses

It goes without saying - in this the era of #hashtags, iPhones and Wifi - that it's difficult (for me, anyway) to take a few minutes to power down into neutral and simply relax.  To a certain extent, I guess that's what I do when I go for a run.  Still, between family responsibilities, buying a new house and work, it's Go! Go! Go!, all of the time.  At least, that's what it feels like to me.


Thursday morning before work, I was rushing around the house, trying to get ready for an 8 a.m. board meeting at Children's House.  I had been in trial until almost 7 p.m. Wednesday evening, so I was mentally exhausted anyway.  Jude already had left to take J.P. to school and I was trying to keep Joe entertained while I shaved and got dressed.  I decided to let him play with J.P.'s iPad so I could keep him occupied for about 10 minutes. 


As I was getting dressed, lost in thought about what I had to get done that day and where I had to be, I heard a voice say, "Daddy?"  I looked down and there was Joe, staring innocently up at me.  "Daddy, I need to go potty." he said.   I smiled at him, powered down, and said, "sure, Joe, let's do that."  And we did.

No comments: