Sunday, March 8, 2015

Basketball Jones

Today, J.P. played in the final basketball game of the season or, actually, seasons.  Before Christmas, he played in a league at First Presbyterian Church.  After Christmas, he played in a WNSL league, in which the games were played at the Eachen Elementary School gymnasium.  This weekend, Friday - Sunday, his WNSL team ("the Dores") played in the "March Madness" tournament through WNSL. 


With one exception, the same group of boys played on both teams.  Great, great boys and great parents, but more on that later.


The First Presbyterian league was less intense than the WNSL league.  Although the boys lost one game in the First Presbyterian League and went undefeated in the WNSL league (there was one tie), the WNSL League suited them better and was a more competitive basketball league.  The rules were enforced more rigidly in the WNSL league and for that reason, I think the boys learned more about the game. 


Because we ran the table in the WNSL league, the Dores were moved up from the "Silver" division to the "Gold" division for the "March Madness" tournament.  As a result, they struggled in all 4 games, the closest being a 13-4 loss Friday night.  In both games Saturday (10 a.m. and 8 p.m.) and in the game this morning (11 a.m.), they were "boat raced."  The reality, though, is that they were playing against all-star/travel teams in every game.  In truth, the Dores are a Recreation League team, made up of friends, not players selected solely on ability.  I was proud of J.P. and all of the boys, as they played hard and never gave up.


The WNSL league and the tournament were especially good for J.P.  He played tougher and more aggressively than he has at any time in the past.  In the tournament, he was probably the youngest boy on the court at all times (most of the boys were 7 years old).  Still, he scrapped, dove on the floor after loose balls, got knocked down and even shoved a kid Saturday evening (which I liked).  I saw toughness out of J.P. that I haven't necessarily seen in other sports up and until now and I think that bodes well for him. 


Like me (and his mother), J.P. is never going to be the biggest, fastest or most athletic kid on the team.  He's got good hand/eye coordination, also like me (and his mother).  Because he likely won't be as athletic as others, he's going to have to play harder and tougher than other kids.  I think he has that in him and it excites me to see it develop. 


Like yesterday, I remember him at the age of 3, in the backyard, trying to hit a plastic baseball off a plastic tee.  When he missed, he slammed the bat down, kicked the over the picked up the tee and slammed it down.  Jude and I laughed uproariously, which made J.P. even madder.  When I recounted that story to a friend of mine, he correctly pointed out that, as a parent, you can control and mold that type of competitiveness, the "want to," if you will.  But you can't put it in a child, if it's not already there.  J.P. has that fire, that competitive spirit, which is something I love about him.


Basketball (First Presbyterian and WNSL) was the first sport he has played that I haven't coached.  It was really good for him to be coached by someone else.  He learned so much from his coaches, Chris Taylor and Russ Allen.  He responded to their instruction, he played hard and most importantly, he had fun.  On a personal level, I enjoyed watching him and not coaching him.  It was less stressful for me and I could devote all of my attention to watching him, which was nice.


I won't forget the thrill I felt in our second or third WNSL game, when two times in a row, he brought the ball up the court and drove down the right side of the lane straight to the basket.  I elbowed my mom as he hit a layup, my heart filled with pride.  It was awesome.


Now, it's on to baseball.    

No comments: